Camping is a great past-time. Spending time immersed in nature with friends or family, slowing down and enjoying scenery, hiking, swimming and fishing are all reasons that people love to get outside and pitch a tent during the summer and even into the fall. However, some of the downsides to camping include the challenges of living a more primitive lifestyle, even if it is only for a short time. We have gathered some of our favorite camping hacks to keep the challenges to a minimum, leaving more time for rest, relaxation, and enjoyment of natural surroundings!
10 Favorite Camping Hacks
- Use foam floor tiles to cover the floor of your tent, making it softer for sleeping and sitting.
- If you need an extra lantern, fill a gallon jug with water and strap a headlamp around the jug with the light pointed inward.
- Lint makes a great, homemade fire starter. Stuff a paper towel or toilet paper roll with lint and then watch it get your fire blazing in no time.
- Repurpose a used coffee can to store toilet paper and protect it from rain or dampness.
- Use tic-tac boxes to store spices that you can carry with you for an open fire cooking experience.
- Recycle a laundry detergent dispenser and use it as a hand washing station.
- Add bundles of sage to the campfire to keep mosquitos away.
- Bring tick deterrent. You can even make your own by using one part tea tree oil and two parts water in a spray bottle.
- Keep matches clean and dry by placing them in a Tupperware container and gluing sandpaper to the top.
- Crack eggs into a water bottle with a lid and then place them into a cooler for easier transporting. Don’t throw away the carton, though, that can be used as kindling or a fire starter!
Camping is a great experience for families, especially when you can use your creativity to make the experience seamless. At Natural Springs Resort in New Paris, Ohio, we aim to make your camping experience as enjoyable as possible with a friendly staff, beautiful natural grounds, updated amenities and a well-stocked camp store.
Make sure to use these fun camping hacks when tent or RV camping, so that you can spend more time enjoying our beautiful spring-fed lake and less time worrying about how you are going to start a fire, cook dinner or keep bugs away!
Cheers to the great outdoors and adventuring at Natural Springs Resort!